Written by Jon Rosser
Interviewing soon? Don’t let this happen to you:
9am: Interviews all morning.
1pm: We get a call from candidate to debrief: “Wow, I am impressed. They have a great team, really like the environment. Good career growth opportunity. You were right, I’m glad I took the interview. I’m definitely interested.”
2pm: Call from client: “Unfortunately we’re going to pass. They just came across flat, not prepared and didn’t seem all that interested.”
It’s OK to interview for a job you aren’t quite sure about yet. In fact, it’s common. Interviews are your chance to learn more about the opportunity.
Interviews are just as much for you as they are for the potential employer.
But, you still have to be ready. Prepare for an interview like it’s your dream job. We can’t tell you how many times I’ve had someone interview for an opportunity and they were more interested after than before.
Sure, the opposite happens sometimes as well. That’s why you interview.
You want the decision to be yours. Prepare. Present well. Get them to like you. Ball’s in your court.
Let’s say you interview and decide you’re not interested in that specific job/situation. Did you waste your time? Far from it.
Here are examples of different ways we’ve seen positive interviews play out:
- We’ve had candidates get hired into different roles than initially discussed.
- High-growth clients have created positions for someone that is a great match for their environment, culture and long term plans.
- Hiring managers have left one client, joined another company, and then called us back to talk to a candidate they interviewed through us at their previous employer.
- Clients have upgraded title, responsibility and pay for talent that was stronger than they initially set out to find, but didn’t want to lose.
- Clients have mentioned our candidates to other people in their network at other employers.
Making a good impression on an executive is always a good thing.
Want to prepare but not sure where to start? Here you go: How To Prepare For Interviews!